Flood Brothers Restoration
                                                                            Locked In and On Point!
They say the only dumb question is the one not asked... So please call and ask!

Water Damage Repair FAQs

We get it, you’ve got a ton of questions and need answers.  We can answer some of those initial questions on our site, but hopefully if you have additional questions you’ll give us a call to discuss your project in more detail.

Will my insurance pay for the water damage?

Most of the time water losses are covered by homeowners insurance.  That isn’t to say it’s a guarantee that your insurer will pay for the cost of our services, but 9 out of 10 times we are able to get a successful claim for our customers.  Call us if you’d like to discuss the particulars of your situation and we can help you better assess the best path forward!

Will I need to have a claim opened before hiring a restoration company?

No, you do not need a claim.  Usually we suggest waiting until the initial water containment portion has begun before calling your insurer and filing a claim.  We painstakingly take 100′s of pictures of your loss so there is no need for an adjuster to visually assess the loss before beginning work.  In fact, that costs us precious time and means the cost of the claim to the insurer will only go up as more water damage occurs.

What if my insurer balks at the cost of repairing the property?

That won’t happen.  If an insurer doesn’t agree to certain repairs, it’s simply because they are not fully informed of the situation.  That falls on us to properly communicate every single action we’ve taken and the reason for that action.  We are the experts at properly mitigating water damage, and for an insurer to willfully reject our recommendations makes them potentially liable should you suffer any health issues and future property damage due to the structure not being properly mitigated.

What is my deductible and when do I pay that?

A deductible for homeowners insurance can range from $500 up to a percentage of the property’s assessed value.  You’ll need to carefully read your own policy to know where you fall, but generally speaking the deductible is in the $1000 range.  Deductibles are paid out during the build back portion of the project when any sections of your home that had to be torn out are replaced.

Will my carpets and flooring need to be replaced?

Hopefully not, but that will ultimately be determined by the status of your loss. Generally speaking though, it’s more cost-effective for us to dry-out your structure in a non-intrusive way than it is to have to tear our and replace things.  So we, like you, want to keep your existing surfaces intact and dry them whenever possible!

What are the categories of water?

Category 1 Water - Refers to a source of water that does not pose substantial threat to humans and classified as "Clean Water". Examples are broken water supply lines, tub or sink overflows or appliance malfunctions that involves water supply lines.

Category 2 Water - Refers to a source of water that contains a significant degree of chemical, biological or physical contaminants and causes discomfort or sickness when consumed or even exposed to. Known as "Grey Water". This type carries micro organisms and nutrients of micro organisms. Examples are toilet bowls with urine (no feces), sump pump failures, seepage due to hydrostatic failure and water discharge from dishwashers or washing machines.

Category 3 Water - Known as "Black Water" and is grossly unsanitary. This water contains unsanitary agents, harmful bacteria and fungi, causing severe discomfort or sickness. Type 3 category are contaminated water sources that affects the indoor environment. This category includes water sources from sewage, seawater, rising water from rivers or streams, ground surface water or standing water. Category 2 Water or Grey Water that is not promptly removed from the structure and or have remained stagnant may be re classified as Category 3 Water. Toilet back flows that originates from beyond the toilet trap is considered black water contamination regardless of visible content or color.

What are the classes of Water Damage?

Class of water damage is determined by the probable rate of evaporation based on the type of materials affected, or wet, in the room or space that was flooded. Determining the class of water damage is an important first step, and will determine the amount and type of equipment utilized to dry-down the structure.

Class 1 - Slow Rate of Evaporation Affects only a portion of a room. Materials have a low permeance/porosity. Minimum moisture is absorbed by the materials.

Class 2 - Fast Rate of Evaporation. Water affects the entire room of carpet and cushion. May have wicked up the walls, but not more than 24 inches.

Class 3 - Fastest Rate of Evaporation. Water generally comes from overhead, affecting the entire area; walls, ceilings, insulation, carpet, cushion, etc.

Class 4 - Specialty Drying Situations. Involves materials with a very low permeance/porosity, such as hardwood floors, concrete, crawlspaces, plaster, etc. Drying generally requires very low specific humidity to accomplish drying.

Copyright© 2012-2016 Flood Brothers Restoration, all text, graphics and concepts are considered real and intellectual property and cannot be used without permission. Site design and hosting provided by HotRodWebs.com - for problems
or questions about this website contact the Webmaster